Thursday, May 08, 2008

Side Two of Abbey Road




Well, hello everybody.

I finally finished my latest podcast episode.

It is called "Side Two of Abbey Road" and it is available for download at willfranken.libsyn.com

Of all the creative projects I have ever undertaken, this might possibly be my personal favorite.

So sayeth Percy Bysshe Shelley in his Defence of Poetry:

The mind in creation is as a fading coal, which some invisible influence, like an inconstant wind, awakens to transitory brightness. . .Could this influence be durable in its original purity and force, it is impossible to predict the greatness of the results: but when composition begins, inspiration is already on the decline.

I couldn't agree more with the fading coal metaphor. So the challenge facing the artist is a temporal one. How to shorten the distance between inspiration and creation so that the creation retains as much of the initial inspiration as possible? The answer varies from artist to artist. But the desire is the same--to collapse all time into a single timeless point of eternal, self-perpetuating inspiration and creativity.

There were times throughout the making of this that I thought I was going to go insane. . .or worse, deaf.

There were times throughout the making of this that I was happy to be poor and rejected by the entertainment industry, for were the opposite to be the case, perhaps I could not have created this.

There were even times during the production that I worried I was going to die.

There were times where I felt extremely lonely. I tried to force myself to take a break at certain points and masturbate--but I couldn't even bring myself to do that. I would unzip and start, but then the voices kept calling me onwards. . .onwards. . .onwards. . .

I figure the less said about the piece, the better. I should just let it speak for itself.

Overall, I have to say--"Side Two of Abbey Road" is about many things.

Most importantly, it is the story of rock-n-roll.

Rock-n-roll is what existed before globalization castrated it.

I love you all.

I will start blogging again very soon. On other topics besides this podcast. It's just still very fresh and exciting for me right now. And I have never worked as hard on anything as I have on this. I am extremely proud of what I have done. And that's saying a lot for a negative bastard like myself.

Solitude and poverty kept my fading coal burning just long enough to provide me the necessary light to see this project through to completion.

And now, after a short rest, I hope to get paid or laid or both.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"